Saturday, November 11, 2006

Hog Heaven

With Auburn's loss today and Arkansas walking all over Tennessee, I guess we'll all be watching the Razorbacks and Gators play for the SEC title this year (I know they have to win one more game, but they have Mississippi State next week). I couldn't be happier for the other UA. They came out of nowhere this year to become a powerhouse. Congrats to you guys!

I was reading a pretty good column today by Paul Finebaum (I think I'm one of the few Bama fans that don't hate him or what he has to say, but that's neither here nor there). He talks about how the Iron Bowl next week won't mean a hill of beans to the national audience like it used to. To make matters worse, Ohio State and Michigan face each other at the exact same time.

That especially rings true after Georgia's win over Auburn. Heck, I knew after Alabama's loss to MSU last week that I didn't even want to go back to Tuscaloosa for the Iron Bowl. Unfortunately, I have to work it, so I have to be there.

I never thought I would want to skip the Iron Bowl (and I've been to a few), but this one is worthless to me. The coaching staff has ruined it for me this year. I was talking to a friend who works across the hall from me, and he made some good points about the team being so young (half of the 100+ on the roster are freshmen).

He's not exactly ready to hang it up on Shula, but I just can't feel the same way. I remember being a student Shula's first year there. I remember the electricity and relief everyone had when he was hired in that town. We had just been through Dennis Franchiphoney and Mike Price, and he was a breath of fresh air.

Now, a lot of us don't want him there any longer. I don't need to go into all this again. I've written and vented enough. Heck, as I write this, Bama and LSU are 10 minutes away from the end of the game, and I'm emotionally numb. I knew LSU would kill them, so I'm not mad. I do hope, however, there's enough anger elsewhere that someone will finally make a change.

No comments: