Saturday, May 13, 2006

Oh, man...

This had to be one of the most tiring, if not the most rewarding, weeks I've since I've been at WTVM. Everything hit big on Monday, and it didn't stop until after 11 p.m. Friday.

I'm not going over too many specifics, but here's a quick breakdown:

-Monday: Time problems from the start. I basically worked two stories, which threw everything and everyone off. I had my story, plus helped on someone else's. To top it off, I had to go to Columbus and replace my camera's power supply.

-Tuesday: Had to come into work early, shoot two stories and feed stuff down to our sister station, WSFA. Easy enough day, but my boss came over to take us out to dinner. Before our meal, we get filled in on some developing changes. Pretty cool stuff is happening.

-Wednesday: Get a great story with the police and state attorney general. Bad weather sets in, knocks out our feed from the bureau and I have to head back to Columbus for the third time in five days (about a 45 minute drive both ways).

-Thursday: Go up to cover a search for a missing airplane. Get great stuff up there and head back to the bureau (thankfully it's back up and running). Do my stuff, get off work and go shopping for Amy's Mother's Day gifts. Less than an hour later, they find the plane. Voluntarily, I head back to the crash site, get more stuff and report live that night. A double-shift, but a great story.

-Friday: Go back to the crash site, and the sheriff lets me get close-up footage of the wreckage. Because I stayed out there all day Thursday and Friday morning, they keep everyone else away from the wreck, giving me the exclusive! :-) Back to the bureau, getting packed to go home and a semi hits a school bus. Head out there, get a great story with a kid (You're welcome for my interviews, WSFA! :-) Your stuff also looked awesome, Charlie!) and report it live that night. Yep, second double-shift in a row.

I had overtime every day this week. Total hours for the week is 52.5. I think that's the most I've pulled in quite a while. That's what you have to do when it's sweeps and you're a one-man-band. :-)

I pray next week is more relaxing. I am still burned out even after a full night of sleep.

In other thoughts, I did get Amy's gifts put together today. Also, Alyssa is learning more about her hands. It was awesome watching her sitting on the couch playing with her fingers.

Pictures in the next post!

1 comment:

Your PR Pal said...

Of course, the question is, will they pay you for 52.5 hours?